Monday, December 4, 2017

Practicum - Week 5

Dates: Monday, September 25th and Friday, September 29th

Monday, September 25th

I discussed my practicum goals and objectives with the Teen Department Supervisor to ensure that I could maximize my time contributing and learning while completing my 120 Practicum hours.  My practicum goals and objectives are:


  • Assist with programming selection for the library’s Teen Department.
    • Schedule and organize Financial Aid Night workshops so high school students are better informed on the types of financial aid available and how to correctly fill out the FAFSA form.
    • Prepare and create flyers advertising the events

  1. Examine the Teen Department’s existing non-fiction and biography collections
    1. Identify gaps in both sections
    2. Evaluate the assigned areas on the basis of currency and relevance
    3. Deselect the assigned areas of the collection
    4. Consult appropriate selection tools to create a section list for both sections
  1. Work with patrons to assist with services and access available at the library
    1. Assist users with reference and research needs
    2. Assist users with OPAC and with reference tools
    3. Conduct searches for users using print and/or non-print sources
    4. Assist users in locating material
After it was approved by the Teen Department Supervisor, I sent a copy of my practicum goals and objectives to my Faculty Supervisor, Dr. Sylvia Vardell, as well.

Friday, September 29th

To prepare to meet Practicum Goal 2, which is to examine the teen department's nonfiction section, I dedicated the entire day to reading the Texas State Library and Commission's CREW: Weeding Manual for Modern Libraries.  This allowed me to review the benefits of weeding, the guidelines on what to weed, and CREW guidelines based on each Dewey Class.  Specifically, I focused on the CREW Guidelines for the Young Adult Fiction since this is the primary area the Teen Supervisor wants me to focus on.



Throughout the day, I also helped cover the Main Room's reference desk where I fielded questions on where to find particular titles, provided information on the English as a Second Language classes offered by the library, input study room reservations, and unlocked designated study rooms when the party of individuals showed up for their appointments.

Weekly Reflection:

I am very excited about the opportunity to help the Teen Department strengthen their existing non-fiction section so that teens and young adults have an updated and better selection to choose from when seeking information for school assignments or projects.  As I read the CREW manual, I was struck by statements that emphasized the importance of providing nonfiction materials and resources to children and young adults that were accurate in data, information, and photos.  This is because many teens and young adults are not able to discern what is outdated, inaccurate, or incorrect.  Having materials on the shelves with stereotypical messages or images and erroneous information may cause changes in young adult's thinking and may begin to sway their judgments and opinions.

I am grateful that the Texas State Library and Archives Commission provides a weeding manual to aid in helping librarians determine what to weed and what to keep.  It provides a starting point as well as rationale as to why some items are kept in the collection while others are removed from the shelves.



No comments:

Post a Comment