Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Practicum - Week 12

Dates:  Monday, November 13th

Monday, November 13
I continued with my weeding and deselection of the Teen Department's nonfiction section.  I have worked my way to the the 330s, which deals with the subject of Economics.  CREW outlines that currency of information is most critical in this area since the world of finances quickly changes.  Thus it is critical to provide updated information to all library patrons.  In the Teen's collection, I found many books that dealt with jobs, careers, ways to make money, and tips on job hunting.  All of these topics are relevant to teens who may be looking for their first jobs to begin saving for their future.



Weekly Reflection:
As I continue weeding, I am astounded at the number of books that are currently on the shelves that are out of date and need to be removed.  Patrons trust that the information found on the library shelves is accurate and true, and are relying on the library to provide access to quality goods and services.  I am realizing what can happen when weeding is not performed on a consistent basis: circulations numbers are low and the collection remains stagnant due to little to no interested for usage from patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment