Monday, December 4, 2017

Practicum - Week 9

Dates:  Monday, October 23rd and Friday, October 27th

Monday, October 23rd
This week, the Teen Department will host the first of two FAFSA workshops.  I called to local college to confirm that the personnel assigned would be available for the session scheduled for Tuesday, October 24th.  Afterwards, I continued with my practicum weeding project.

Friday, October 27th
Today, I helped the Teen Department begin preparing for the McAllen Library's Book Festival scheduled for Saturday, November 11th. I created program and session evaluation boxes by recycling the inter library loan boxes.  I wrapped them with in navy blue paper and attached the Book Festival's logo onto them.




Weekly Reflection:

As I look at each item on the shelf to evaluate it, I have the CREW manual in front of me so that I am able to refer to CREW recommendations.  It is very helpful to have its detailed recommendations on hand so that it is easier to determine whether the title would be appropriate to stay in the nonfiction section.  Some of the books I have looked at appear to be practically brand new, with little to no signs of wear.  As I checked the library's LS2 records, many of them have not been circulated in over ten years!  I was shocked that the library still had these titles on the shelves!  For some categories, such as Political Science, CREW recommends an item be weeded within five years of publication so that materials that are not current, accurate or fair are removed.  It is evident that titles in this particular section do not meet the recommended CREW guidelines.

I stopped by the FAFSA workshop Tuesday night and was saddened to see that only one teen showed up.  The library had reserved a computer lab which seats 25 participants so when I entered the room, I was disappointed that the FAFSA presenter was working one-on-one in the back of the room with the only participant who showed up.  The library had announced a reminder over the PA system, but no one else joined the session.  My practicum supervisor said that this is common; some programs can have a large group of participants attend while others might not have any.  Sometimes, we need to take the "wait and see" approach.  The FAFSA workshop was advertised using the McAllen Library's social media accounts as well as posting flyers around the library so I am a bit surprised and disappointed with the low turnout. 


No comments:

Post a Comment