Monday, December 4, 2017

Practicum - Week 8

Dates:  Monday, October 16th

Monday, October 16th
I continued evaluating books in the nonfiction section for possible weeding.  I finished through the 170s, Ethics, through the 200s, which contained titles on religious thoughts and practices, and began work on the 300s, Social Sciences, sociology, and anthropology.

Since there are a growing number of titles that will need be weeded, I began identifying titles for future additions to nonfiction collection based on local school district's required novel and reading lists.  I was able to download Morris Middle School Library's Battle of the Books Reading list which contains some nonfiction titles as well as Sharyland ISD's District List.



Weekly Reflection

As I continue to work on my major practicum project, I am amazed at the range of books and subjects available to teen and young adults.  I had never paid attention to it before.  From the philosophical schools of thought to psychology and self-help titles, teens and young adults have a wider selection to choose from what I thought was available to them.  Although my focus at the moment is selecting titles for weeding, I think its also a good idea to begin looking for possible replacement titles that will "replace" the weeded item.  Given that my focus is the nonfiction section, locating and acquiring new titles that have new and updated information will prove beneficial and critical to helping the McAllen Library provide the best resources available for this target audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment