Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Practicum - Week 15

Dates:  Monday, December 4th and Friday, December 8th

Monday, December 4th
Today, I was able to continue helping the Teen Department decorate for the Christmas season.  I created and cut out boulders from white butcher paper and taped them on the Teen Department's glass window entrance.



Friday, December 8th
My final day of the practicum was spent decorating for the Christmas contest.  I helped create candy canes and gum drops for the Department's gingerbread house castle.  In between, I helped a patron locate several graphic novels and assisted another patron in helping to use her school's website.




Also, I was finally able to visit the library's tech services department where I learned how books are received and cataloged.  I learned how new search records are added to the library's catalog system as well as how records are removed when an item is weeded or deselected.  I met the two individuals responsible for monitoring the library's budget and how they process purchase orders and invoices.




Weekly Reflections
Throughout this practicum, I was finally able to make connections between what I learned in my coursework to an actual library setting.  I was also able to develop many of the skills I learned throughout my studies and apply them them in a professional environment.  I am grateful to have been a part of such a positive and supportive team; many library staff members were extremely welcoming and helpful in providing valuable insight into the library work experience.  I am convinced now more than ever that working at a library is one of the best jobs around.  I look forward to working in one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment